Dienstag, 10. März 2015

About 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings'

I have to admit, when I first watched 'An Unexpected Journey' I was somewhat disappointed and I felt my fear confirmed that this film series will suck and be reaaaaally long-winded.
Thinking back to 'The Lord of the Rings' books and then comparing it to 'The Hobbit' book I could not understand how Peter Jackson had to do three parts on that one as well. It did not seem right and I almost did not watch the first movie! But since my husband insisted to watch it I came along (we do everything together, always ^_^).
After watching 'An Unexpected Journey' I said I might watch the other parts, but will not buy the DVD/Blu-Ray, because I was disappointed. All the singing and expatitating on some scenes made it somewhat boring. But how else would a three part movie be possible with that short book?

'The Lord of the Rings' on the other hand had taken me in from the beginning.
I loved the movies really much (I think I have watched them all for like 10 times by now?) and for the first time, I liked a film better than the original book (the book was due to all the singing and poems really long-winded and sometimes made you lose focus), something that has never happened before. Since then I long for a trip to New Zealand to visit the beautiful landscapes and the movie sets.

But back to 'The Hobbit':
And then, a year later, the second part came ... I liked it much better, less singing, more action ... And then the third part ... But it was only then that I was completely taken in by it >_<
Now I love it with all my heart and can't wait for the Extendend Edition of all three parts to be published XD''''
I find it really fascinating what is possible in the movie business these days, all the effects - the magic -  and I guess it would be really interesting to be on a film set while they actually film a movie, to see what is real and what is done on the computer and how they do the costumes and the make-up. This is so exciting! Waaah, I guess I have found the job of my dreams XDDD

I also never thought I would call a dwarf 'handsome', but Thorin Oakenshield is a really handsome fella >_<
With time, he grew to be my favorite character in 'The Hobbit' because of his noble character (even though he was taken in by Dragon Sickness - but he freed himself of it >_<)

I read a lot of critiques about 'The Hobbit' and there was one I really disliked. In fact it made me mad. It called 'The Hobbit' and all fantasy stories to be escapisms and stupefaction of people. That person also went as far as to call the people loving fantasy to be weak and stupid for not living in the real world.
I feel sorry for the poor soul being so narrow-minded to not accept the opinion of others and calling them stupid and weak. I will not call that person stupid, just narrow-minded for not seeing that people are different. Everyone likes different things. It would be a boring world if we all were the same, would it not?
It is the differences that make this world interesting - at least that's what I believe >_<
And since I am a worshipper of fantasy, especially 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit' and also being a fantasy author myself, I kinda feel offended by these words. But I guess that is exactly what the author of that critique wants - to offend XD'''
And I think the world J.R.R. Tolkien created with all its details is quite remarkable. I admire people with this much imagination! The story for a book first needs to be created and imagined, it is not an easy task and to call these people stupid and weak does not seem right. I guess that poor soul only has his/her hatred for fantasy and no imagination at all or the insight to appreciate the hard work it takes to create a world. And almost every book or movie comes from someone's imagination and is therefore fiction >_<

Okay, now I think I am done ... Enough nagging XD
What do you think of the movie adaption of 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings'? What do you like better? The movies or the books? Let me now ^_^

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen