Samstag, 9. Mai 2015

How to write a synopsis

Okay, I have been asked this a few times now, even though there are lots of information about that on the internet, as well as HOW-TOs.
I hate to write synopses. It is my least favorite thing to write when I am done with a novel. I always get the feeling it makes my story less interesting for the one who has to read it and decide if it is worth publishing, because there is so much that falls by the wayside.
Enough nagging XD'''
Oh, and yes, surely you have read that a synopsis normally is written before you write the novel, but in my case this doesn't work (I change a lot while I write a story so I decided to always write it in the end when I am done).

This is how I write a synopsis:

Working title (working title, because the title might change)
Genre
Target audience
Length (word count)
Quote (one sentence that sticks out and speaks for the idea of the story) <-- difficult one, and not really necessary
Short summary (describe the story in a few sentences, similar to a blurb on the back cover)
Content (this will be a summary of the whole story, it should be around one Word page, but not more than two! You need to write down the central theme, the most important stuff and no side story information) <-- this is why it sucks!
Biography of the characters (main characters and a few minor characters - describe their appearance, race, special abilities if they have any, age if known, characteristics, who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist, short summary of their relevance to the story)
Background information (if there is any, for example a special belief, why is something the way it is in your story, a relevant myth the story is build on)
Motivation (why did you write that story?)

I hope that helps ^_^
If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen